Saturday, May 1, 2010

rant on konami renaming things in TCG

I normally don't mind the subtle change in names between OCG and TCG. But, after looking at The Shining Darkness spoiler. Almost the entire set( of the hyped cards) seems to have had it's name changed. The one that makes no sense to me is: Black-Feather Treasure was changed to "Cards For Black Feathers." They didn't even keep the difference with OCG to TCG and renaming it Cards For Blackwings. All they needed to do was rename it Blackwing Treasure if they absolutely had to rename it. There isn't anything politically wrong with the word "treasure" seeing as we have other cards with the word in it, ex: pharoh's treasure(I think that's what it's called). We had "Infernity Gun" changed to "Infernity Launcher." I can understand how the word "Gun" could be seen as bad in english. The Infernity Randomizer had its name changed from Infernity Roulette(I think that's what it was called, I don't remember though). The Turtle Once Called Called God was changed to "Testudo Erat Numen," which is Latin for "Turtle That Was a Higher Being"(sorry if that isn't the exact translation, I learned this from my friend who knows Latin). I understand that they change the names to protect the kids playing the game here in the states because these words are seen as offensive to some people. But, seeing as there are kids playing in Japan and other Asian countries, I think that since they get it called what it is. We should be able to have it translated correctly for once. All the pictures changed to fit American parents "standards." Look at the Asian picture of all of these: Dien Keto the Cure Master, Fairy Archer, Harpie Girl(not sure if this one was different). Their pictures are a lot more provocative than our subdued "Americanized" copies of them. It's not that I care about the picture being changed(I mean seriously look at Dien Keto, WTF), It's more along the line that you see the picture that it's going to be. Then you get something completely different, and your like: what the f*** is this. It's not that their changing the name or the picture, it's that Asian countries get what, in my opinion, is the better picture of the card, or the better name. To sum this review up about the change. I think it's ridiculous for Konami to change the name or picture for the view of Americans(and let's be honest it is because of Americans), and that they should keep the game the pictures and text for what it was supposed to be. If a card was meant to be provocative or vulgar, let it. Look at Magic The Gathering, it couldn't be a more provocative game with all the text and pictures on certain cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment